Stickhandling Series - Toe Drag
This is Drill #7 in the HockeyShot Stickhandling Series. Learn and develop your toe drag technique. The toe drag is an essential and effective skill. View the video and follow the techniques below.
For the toe drag drill, you will use the same hockey and hand position as you did in the basic stick handling drill. Begin this drill a little bit off center, with an extended reach on your forehand. Roll your top wrist so that the toe of the blade is pointed to the floor.
Make sure to keep your bottom hand loose, letting the shaft of your stick slide up while you pull the puck back toward the side of your body. Use a "J" shape motion and roll your top wrist so you can catch the puck with your blade in a square position on the floor.
- Flexible rolling action with your top wrist
- Keep your bottom hand loose on the shaft
- Use a "J" shape motion pattern
- Maintain controlled, fluent movement and feel the puck on the center of your blade
- Start slowly and progress faster once you feel comfortable with the stick handling action
- Keep your head up and use your peripheral vision to see the puck